[NSRCA-discussion] Kavan geared starter question

Ronald Van Putte vanputte at cox.net
Thu Sep 25 16:57:58 AKDT 2014

I have changed out the brushes on many Kavan starters.  Ihncheol is correct; they are very inexpensive.

The biggest problem I have seen with using 4-cell lipo packs with starters is when pilots keep the starter running for a long time if the engine won’t start.  The Kavan starter is more tolerant than some others, but they too will be damaged by long term continuous running.  If  the engine won’t start after about five seconds, running it longer seldom causes kit to start.  Look for what’s causing the problem.

Ron Van Putte