[NSRCA-discussion] Another discussion topic relating to newFAIrules

J N Hiller jnhiller at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 31 09:03:08 AKST 2012

In rereading the AMA rule regarding smoothness and gracefulness I don't see
any reference to constant speed. The bulk of the information in the single
paragraph deals with geometric maneuver defects.
"A perfect set of consecutive rolls should have a constant roll rate from
start to finish. A perfect loop must have a constant radius defining a
perfect circle. It cannot be made up of a series of straight flight
increments joined with sudden angular jerks. Rotations in the pitch axis of
the model should be made evenly, and show a constant radius as the model
transitions from line to line. Higher marks should not be awarded for flying
tight, high-g corners."
A single sentence is consistent with the paragraph title "b. Smoothness and
gracefulness. "
"A most general definition would relate to providing a smooth, flowing,
polished appearance in flight."
This single sentence alone probably wouldn't warrant a second place in
judging criteria. Looks like the paragraph may be mislabeled.
In reviewing the NSRCA judging certification test I don't see anything
regarding constant speed, but I'm getting old and may have missed something.
In any case I'll fly as I've always tried too, crisp and precise, regardless
of how its judged, because it pleases me.
Jim