[NSRCA-discussion] Full Scale Airport

Lisa & Larry lld613 at psci.net
Thu Jan 17 16:11:55 AKST 2008

Quote.

"It has far more to do with the local volume and the relationship you have
with the local flyers and airport management than it does a cut and dry, do
or don't fly at airports."

Mark,

I agree 100%...Some may recall I was trying to set up a airshow / pattern
contest at our local airport in southern Indiana. Troy Newman was very
supportive and with him committing, I felt I could promote this airshow at
the request of the Mayor and would be an annual hit for an airshow and a
regional contest for D3, D4, and D5.

I thought my relationship was rock solid with the AA (Management). I was the
Local High School Sponsor for their Aviation Club and worked with them to
get interest for their flight school. We had a discussion with the Mayor
that I was very positive.

We'll the relationship wasn't what I thought. A couple of days later, I
called the Mayor and told him I'm getting a lot of support and this will be
an outstanding event. The AA Manager went to the Mayor and told him I wanted
the Airport shut down for this. This was not true and he admitted he lied to
the mayor. I was working with AMA to arrange a meeting on the details when
this happened. The Mayor pulled the plug and never looked back. He only
offered me a semi-pro ballpark (which was nice) but would be something I
couldn't get folks to commit to with the same support.

The key is that the AA Manager has the power to make it or break it. You
need him/her onboard first. I offered $1,000 per day with full scale
aircraft having full right of way with no interference from our activity. We
were to use a taxiway that isn't normally ever used by full scale pilots
(5,000ft runway).

What made it sour grapes for me is that the Mayor searched me out and asked
for my help.

Larry Diamond

  _____