[NSRCA-discussion] D3 Championship - Scoring System Overhaul

JShulman jshulman at cfl.rr.com
Thu Oct 18 07:42:54 AKDT 2007

Re: [NSRCA-discussion] D3 Championship - Scoring System OverhaulI think this
(below in red) has been what we (FAI and Masters guys at the contest) had
been discussing all weekend. There are rounds when I'm not on my game and
these guys are. Unfortunately sometimes they are not rewarded for their
flying when they fly well.

As per Ryan's post:

1. Sacrifice one FAI round per contest to serve as an "open" round for all
contestants expected to judge FAI during the event.  Allow everyone to
compare notes and use this as a coaching opportunity.

Sounds promising and educational at the cost of maybe a little bit of time
depending on how the flight lines are run.
2.  Drop one FAI pilot to Masters at each contest to serve as a judge for
all rounds and use volunteers from other classes to serve as the others.
This would have to be an agreement made among FAI pilots.

If by drop he means not flying in the contest and being a dedicated judge,
sounds fine.
3.  Extend the pilots meeting to go over specific issues, maybe a new one or
two every meet rather than just pointing out the landing zone, etc.  Make a
"mini" judging seminar mandatory each contest.

This could also be done while flying is going on. Might have to repeat for
others that have missed parts, but if they're interested, repeat away.
4.  Certify judges for FAI on a volunteer basis and only use "certified"
judges in the contest.

Somehow I'm not sure this will happen, but sounds good if you can find
enough dedicated judges.
5.  Utilize peer judging, in other words, have FAI pilots judge themselves.
If a pilot is not flying, he is judging his fellow competitors.

hehehehehe, the Masters guys are reading this and they are all in
favor...lol.

Mike H, does Melissa still have the scores from this weekend? If so, could
she pull each judges final scores, like Jim suggested in #1, as a final
score and see if anything changes? 12 rounds of normalized scores. That
sounds pretty interesting as well. And we, FAI pilots here in D3, aren't out
for anyone's head, we are just trying to help improve pattern judging. "Evil
incompetent"? Please. Remember, you had Ryan and I with-in 1 point on that
first round of P! We, as a District, have made far too many strides in
becoming one of the most fun Districts (and best if I dare say...lol)
around. I, like these guys, just want to make sure that we continue in these
ways.

Regards,
Jason
www.jasonshulman.com