[NSRCA-discussion] D3 Championship - Scoring System Overhaul

Mark Atwood atwoodm at paragon-inc.com
Thu Oct 18 07:10:31 AKDT 2007

George and I spent some considerable email on this in the past, but aren¹t
we confusing the statistical relevance of saying ³Pilot A is better than
Pilot B² (which clearly there is not enough math to support) vs ³Pilot A was
scored better than Pilot B today in round 1²??

The quality of the score...is a completely independent issue from whether or
not the score itself is valid.  My ability to judge the same maneuver as an
7 every time is one component (and a challenging one to say the least), not
to mention whether or not the ³7² is the correct score.    But the math that
says that 7,7,7,7,7 loses to 7,7,8,7,7 is pretty sound.  Is the second guy a
better flyer?  Statistically no...they¹re equal.  But in that round he
scored better.  Period.  At the end of the day, this is a subjective sport.
Our objective guidelines are there to help with consistency, but bottom
line, presentation IS part of the program...so by definition, the guy I (the
judge) think won...won.

Maybe we need to do some google-ing on Olympic scoring...clearly they have
the same issue with a LOT more people watching....

That said...I¹m all in favor of reviewing everything Jim has brought to the
table.

-Mark