[NSRCA-discussion] [Fwd: Proposal]

Mark Atwood atwoodm at paragon-inc.com
Thu Aug 23 14:04:44 AKDT 2007

Agree COMPLETELY on the Masters ­ F3A bit...  Would love to have more people
try it.  They¹d find at the local level it¹s a lot of fun.  Plus they get to
judge all of their former Masters peers...although in our district that¹s a
discouragement.  Getting stuck judging 18 masters pilots EVERY round, verses
judging 3 FAI  for one round.  It¹s starting to balance, but not without
some pushing.

On 8/23/07 5:33 PM, "John Gayer" <jgghome at comcast.net> wrote:

> The option system I proposed addresses this. The only requirement when you
> point out is that you try the next class. This could be for a year, two
> contests, whatever we decide to propose. If it's too intense/difficult/time
> consuming  in the next class, drop back. I find it unlikely that this would be
> abused and peer pressure should take care of any that are purely camped for
> trophies.
> I see absolutely no reason not to include Masters in this advancement/option
> scheme. Come on guys, try F3A, you might actually like it.
>
> John
>
> Mark Atwood wrote:
>>
>> I think this really only speaks to not being forced to move up.  Period.
>> Del is making the point that it has to stay "fun" for more than just the top
>> guys.
>>
>> We have a number in our district that have "Fun" being a casual
>> competitor...I'll bet most districts do. They ALL fly masters.  Why?
>> Because they can camp there.  They are serious enough, or have time enough,
>> or talent enough to have fun at that level.  Most can win a round here and
>> there, some win regularly, some don't , all have fun.
>>
>> The problem is that we don't have the same group for Advanced.  Those that
>> have a little less time, a little less talent, etc.  They have fun until
>> they point out...and then someone pushes them to Masters where they really
>> don't belong and they quit.  Can't move back, and don't have fun bringing up
>> the bottom ALWAYS in masters.
>>
>> Same is true of Intemediate. There are those that would stay there happily
>> until pattern retirement.  They'd win some, lose some, watch others pass
>> them by, but at no time are they comfortable flying advanced.  Etc etc etc.
>>
>> We've beat this to death.  Unfortunately someone out there is scared of the
>> almight "Sandbagger" that's going to suck up allll the valuable hardware in
>> a lower class because they suck to much to beat them.  THAT person is the
>> one we should not be catering too...
>>
>> -Mark
>>

>> On 8/23/07 4:23 PM, "seefo at san.rr.com" <mailto:seefo at san.rr.com>
>> <seefo at san.rr.com> <mailto:seefo at san.rr.com>  wrote:
>>

>>> What exactly is a casual competitor?
>>>
>>> I'm being serious here. Someone who doesn't put in the time necessary
>>> to be at their best cannot expect to win contests, and you certainly
>>> cannot change the sport so these people CAN win. Most of us have other
>>> things to do that take up our time. That's life. I can't practice every
>>> day, but at the same time, I don't expect Quique, Andrew, or Jason, or
>>> anyone else to make concessions to me because they can and do put in
>>> the time.
>>>
>>> A person who cannot devote the time necessary to be at the top of their
>>> game, should have enough character and intelligence to accept that
>>> fact. At that point they have 3 choices.
>>>
>>> 1) Compete and HAVE FUN at the level they can currently.
>>> 2) Devote more time and energy to the competition and get better.