[NSRCA-discussion] Impression or precision judging?

Dean Pappas d.pappas at kodeos.com
Tue Oct 3 10:28:39 AKDT 2006

Hi Gang,
How about this?
We need to teach the difference between "smooth and graceful" and "vague and mushy". At least we need to teach something like it.
Historically, I have seen judges mistake oozing into and out of lines for smoothness.
I have seen vague roll starts and stops rewarded, when they are really prolonged and pre-emptive error fixes.
S&G needs to be defined as the absence of any bobbles, wiggles, hitches, or discontinuities in maneuver execution.
To accompany this, the downgrading of changes in roll rate and radius at maneuver element endpoints needs to be highly stressed.
This is the source of the crispness that has been mentioned.
Maybe this will steer in between the two extremes of mushiness and geometry at any cost.

The finest flight I ever saw was the first one up in the morning round on Finals day in Avignon France.
Naruke flew brutally correct geometry. There was not a single bobble, not a molecule of that airplane went anywhere but exactly where it was supposed to go.
All his rolls had precisely the same roll rate from the degree they started to the degree at which they ended, and if he had missed a stop, there would have been no hiding.
The same was true for all looping segments: constant radii met perfect tangents with no place to hide in between.
It was kata-like in its precision, and there was no doubt that I had witnessed the man operating at that limit of human performance, where conscious thought would only get in the way.
The judges murdered him! I am fairly sure that to some extent, that flight is part of why the rules were changed to mandate a warmup pilot.

The problem ... ( enter one can of worms and a can opener) is that perfection is defined as what we do not see,
and when a pilot shows you more by taking exposure, there is no place to reward that, as compared to someone who shows you less by flying more conservatively.
later,
Dean

Dean Pappas
Sr. Design Engineer