[NSRCA-discussion] Sportsman supplemental rules?

Gray E Fowler gfowler at raytheon.com
Mon Jun 19 12:06:21 AKDT 2006

Jim

I am IMAC ignorant, but for RC  in general where we all started, it
appears to me that IMAC has a basic flaw in their competition approach.
Good enough to compete (gotta have the big ole plane right?) but not good
enough to land.

I am not speaking as a pattern dude, just as an RCer. As matter of fact,
in my AMA club we actually have a rule that NO large scale plane/pilot can
fly without passing qualifications set by other designated large scale
club members. Last time I looked landing was one of the qualifications.

Am I nuts or is "I can waterfall but I cannot land" just crazy?

I would reccomend just switchin to a P-51 trainer.

Gray Fowler
Senior Principal Chemical Engineer
Radome and Composites Engineering
Raytheon

"Jim Woodward" <jim.woodward at schroth.com>
Sent by: nsrca-discussion-bounces at lists.nsrca.org
06/19/2006 02:33 PM
Please respond to
NSRCA Mailing List <nsrca-discussion at lists.nsrca.org>

cc

Subject
Re: [NSRCA-discussion] Sportsman supplemental rules?

Gray,

Your words below were my reaction before flying IMAC.  My gut feeling
hasn’t changed about it, but on the other hand, the IMAC equipment and
competitors are different and I believe would have the following take
(IMAC folks correct me if I’m off base):
1.      Allowing others to land the plane encourages fathers to bring
their younger sons to the contest and let them compete.  There is a higher
amount of kids (young kids) flying IMAC than pattern.  However, there is
also a larger kid-factor present when the final placing is announced. Kids
typically score well in IMAC, and place high too.
2.      Knocking out the gear in an IMAC plane is very real possibility
any time you land.  One second of misjudged airspeed or decent, and the
gear is coming out with damage to the fuse.  Not to mention potentially
ruining a $130+ CF prop.
3.      Repairing the plane is not in line with the “have-fun” focus of a
lot of the competitors.  So a rule is in place that in many minds must
allow for increased participation, less damage to expensive equipment,
less ego damage too.  It takes several people to cart off an IMAC plane
once the gear is out.
4.      $$$ A lot of folks are flying planes 2 – 4 times more expensive
than a pattern plane.  There is more overall concern related to equipment
health.  Planes are twice as big, but 5 times easier to damage on landing
than a pattern plane.
5.      Note:  A lot of the pattern landings I’ve seen would definitely
(seriously) damage an IMAC plane.   But the pattern pilot can bounce 3-5
times and it like nothing happened to the plane (lucky for us).

Again, I’m all for scoring landings in pattern.  It sounds like from Ed’s
post there is a class limit in IMAC for which classes allow alternate
lander(s).  I’m just offering a different perspective from the IMAC
experience this year.

Jim W.