[NSRCA-discussion] Sportsman supplemental rules?

Jim Woodward jim.woodward at schroth.com
Mon Jun 19 11:32:14 AKDT 2006

Gray,

Your words below were my reaction before flying IMAC.  My gut feeling hasn't
changed about it, but on the other hand, the IMAC equipment and competitors
are different and I believe would have the following take (IMAC folks
correct me if I'm off base):

1.	Allowing others to land the plane encourages fathers to bring their
younger sons to the contest and let them compete.  There is a higher amount
of kids (young kids) flying IMAC than pattern.  However, there is also a
larger kid-factor present when the final placing is announced.  Kids
typically score well in IMAC, and place high too.
2.	Knocking out the gear in an IMAC plane is very real possibility any
time you land.  One second of misjudged airspeed or decent, and the gear is
coming out with damage to the fuse.  Not to mention potentially ruining a
$130+ CF prop.
3.	Repairing the plane is not in line with the "have-fun" focus of a
lot of the competitors.  So a rule is in place that in many minds must allow
for increased participation, less damage to expensive equipment, less ego
damage too.  It takes several people to cart off an IMAC plane once the gear
is out.
4.	$$$ A lot of folks are flying planes 2 - 4 times more expensive than
a pattern plane.  There is more overall concern related to equipment health.
Planes are twice as big, but 5 times easier to damage on landing than a
pattern plane.
5.	Note:  A lot of the pattern landings I've seen would definitely
(seriously) damage an IMAC plane.   But the pattern pilot can bounce 3-5
times and it like nothing happened to the plane (lucky for us).

Again, I'm all for scoring landings in pattern.  It sounds like from Ed's
post there is a class limit in IMAC for which classes allow alternate
lander(s).  I'm just offering a different perspective from the IMAC
experience this year.

Jim W.

  _____