[NSRCA-discussion] Sportsman supplemental rules?

Pete Cosky pcosky at comcast.net
Mon Jun 19 12:32:40 AKDT 2006

As a relative newcomer to competition I have to agree with Gray. I think take off and landing should be judged and if you are good enough to compete you should be good enough to take off and land.

At the clubs I've belonged to you were not allowed to fly without an instructor present and within arms reach until you proved your ability to takeoff, fly the pattern and few different maneuvers (various depending on the club) and land your plane. If you botched it you did not fly solo out of safety concerns for those around you.

I think its great that a father and son can go out to a meet and compete together but why not spend a little time teaching him how to take off and land as well? Is it for fear of breaking an expensive toy? I've seen enough damage from 40 size trainers visited on people. I shudder to think what a big gasser would do.

I do have to ask one question:
How did the pilot get so comfortable flying in the wind if they didn't take off and land in it?