[NSRCA-discussion] Airplane van

Ed Miller edbon85 at charter.net
Wed Jan 25 01:18:50 AKST 2006

BlankAlthough no longer available brand new I believe, the Chevrolet Astro van has the boxiest interior dimensions of them all. Bigger and more powerful V6 ( torque ) than any minivan if you ever plan to tow anything. I went from 20 years of driving full size Chevrolet vans to an Astro van in '01 and will buy another one ( used ) in a few years when I use this one up. Can easily fit several 2M pattern planes and gear, 4x8 sheets of plywood, rugrats and so far I've towed 5 Harleys on a 2,000lb trailer ( total weight about 5,500lbs ) from Atlanta to Knoxville without a problem and got 15.5mpg towing at 70mph. On the highway with a normal load I see between 22 and 23 mpg. I too buy American brand vehicles which now means only GM and Ford. The Uplander is a much improved Venture and has front wheel drive which is advantage for you in the snow belt. I've seen the "fold into the floor" Chrysler minivan option in action and it is impressive. Having owned 2 Chrysler minivans in the past I was not all that impressed with their long term durability though. Another VERY SPACIOUS mini van is the Volkswagen but I do not know anyone with one to comment on their reliability.
Ed M.