[NSRCA-dist8] Option-160

J N Hiller jnhiller at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 5 08:58:01 AKDT 2010

Yah, hate those recalls. I may need to get the buyer to sign a release when
I sell it.
Put the new bearings in yesterday. The front one was OK but since I had it
out I replaced it. The first time is always a hassle. Not knowing the size I
have to take it out before going to the bearing store for replacements.
The rear bearing is a 6004, 20 x 42 x 12mm.
The front is a 6001 single shield 12 x 28 x 8mm. Shielded bearings are
normally stocked with two shields. Some times I use them and sometimes I
just pop one out.
As most of you know most bearings are metric and the sizing was standardized
early in their development and use. Most motors use commonly available sizes
that can be purchased through any industrial bearing supplier for half the
manufacturer's price and are often a stock item. Here is a link to bearing
basic numbering system.
http://www.bearingsindustry.com/aboutbearing/numbering.htm
These insignificant relatively cheap out-of-sight items surround us and the
industrial revolution wouldn't have gotten very far off the ground without
them. They deserve more respect.
Enough already.
Jim