[NSRCA-dist7] FAI in D7

Peter Vogel vogel.peter at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 20:01:51 AKST 2012

Not sure how this thread split, but here's what I wrote in the other thread:

Aren't there already rules in place that allow for "balancing" a class
that's kind of big?  It feels to me like we're trying to do gymnastics
around the FAI class (which, I think, should be treated as FAI: 4 P and 2 F
rounds, but then, I'm just a Sportsman, what do I know :-) to solve a
problem in the Masters class.  The masters class is a destination in and of
itself, by the very nature of things, it will grow over time as people
continue to matriculate into it.  The solution is already in the rulebook
though -- you can run more than one flight line for masters, with 2 sets of
judges, as long as everyone flies in front of a given pair of judges an
equal number of times, the scoring for the class as a whole works fine.  So
it would go something like this:

Today, you might take 1 advanced and 1 FAI pilot (call them A and B) to
judge a full round 1 of, say 16 masters pilots, then another advanced and
FAI pilot (call them C and D) to judge a full round 2 of the same 16
masters pilots, etc.

Following the AMA rulebook, you could instead do this:
1.  Break the 16 masters pilots into two groups X and Y, 8 pilots each
2.  In round 1 A+B judge group X, and C+D judge group Y
3.  In round 2 A+B judge group Y, and C+D judge group X

Similarly for rounds 3+4 (judges E-H) , 5+6 (judges I-L).

Same amount of overall time in the judges chair for A,B,C+D, etc. but
instead of having completed only 1 round of judging, they've completed 2,
and broke the chair time with a flight of their own in advanced + FAI
rounds.

Rounds would complete somewhat faster, in theory, but at some point the
flightline is consumed entirely by masters pilots, or you run sportsman +
masters group X on left + right stations and then intermediate and masters
group Y on left+right stations, then advanced + FAI on left + right
stations.  But you never have one line idle for an extended period while
the other is still pumping masters pilots through a round

Peter+

--
Director, Fixed Wing Flight Training