[NSRCA-dist7] District 7 Season Championships

Anthony Frackowiak frackowiak at sbcglobal.net
Sun Aug 5 18:23:38 AKDT 2012

Hi Jon,

Since this is the District Championships, the most important contest
of the year, here are my viewpoints. Keep in mind that these
viewpoints are completely different for one of our regular contests.
At those, I welcome other fun and interesting stuff like GB's, Classic
and maybe Unknowns. If they are planned in the weekend schedule and
announced I can decide if I want to participate or not. But since this
is the District Championships I feel anything that might detract from
either the event or the ability of a competitor to prepare for the
event should be avoided.

So, as to #1, I am against GB racing on Friday and Saturday evening if
it in any way will keep someone from pattern practice flying. If
somebody needs to trim, check out a repair or equipment, they should
be allowed all the time they need on both days. Especially Friday when
we are inviting everyone to a clinic type atmosphere.

As to #2, I'm not flying Masters this year, but that will add about 45
minutes to Sunday before the final awards are handed out. Unknowns are
not a part of the AMA classes, at least yet. So I don't think they are
appropriate at the Districts.

As to #3, I'm really not that interested myself as I'll probably be
ready to drop after the end of the contest. And at this point I have a
hard enough time trying to fly P-13 and F-13 well enough to not
embarrass myself that it would be too much for me to even try to get
ready for an Unknown. Again, it will add 45 minutes to the day before
the awards will be handed out.

Doing both a 3 round Masters Unknown and a 3 round F3A Unknown will
add about an hour and a half until the awards are handed out and
people can start going home. You might find yourself with not that
many pilots hanging around for the award ceremony. And I think that
would detract from the District Championships.

I think these ideas are great and I hope someone tries them at one of
the regular contests. But keep the District Championships just for
pattern. I remember at the 2010 US Nats when they interrupted the
Finals to have some ice cream for almost an hour. Then a thunderstorm
moved in and both the Masters and F3A Finals were not completed.
Really a bummer for everyone involved.

Thanks!

Tony Frackowiak