[NSRCA-dist7] FAI: F sequence at local contests

Anthony Frackowiak frackowiak at sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 5 09:58:11 AKST 2010

Hi All,

I just want to make a few comments. I do feel that this is a decision
that should be made by those actively competing in F3A. I started the
thread on RCU because in Phoenix I got in between two friends who are
absolutely at opposite ends of this issue. I personally don't care
what the F3A guys decide to do. I just feel that the only fair way to
schedule and run contests is to come to some sort of agreement and
institute it District wide.

I have seen this reference to the F3A rules stating that you only fly
P at local meets. I wish somebody would send me a link so I could see
that somewhere. I have the F3A rules from 2009 and the only thing I
could find was this,

Note 1: Final and semi-final flights to determine the individual
winner are usually only required for
World and Continental Championships. For open international events,
national championships, and
domestic competitions, the total of the three best preliminary flights
may be used to determine the
individual winner and team placing. Further flights of Schedule F may
be planned, depending on
local conditions and time available.

That certainly doesn't state that you only fly P at local meets. It
definitely gives you the option of using F. In fact, it sort of says
that any additional flights after 4 should be schedule F. I could find
nothing that says local meets only fly P. If it's there somebody
please point me to it. And even if you were only going to use it in
"Championships", shouldn't it at least be used at the District
Championships? And if you are, shouldn't it be used at other local
meets?

Judging may be an issue. It is every time the patterns change. But I
don't see judging being the reason why you should not fly F. There are
problems with judging every single pattern flown in every single
class. It's far from just an F3A issue. That's another subject with
me, but now is not the time.

Other areas of the country are flying F. It has not caused the end of
the world as we know it. Maybe if we do start flying F at local meets
more will move to Masters. I don't know. I moved because I wanted to
go the Nats and I don't want to try to learn how to fly unknowns. Way
too much work for my current energy level. And I don't believe in
flying F3A locally then moving to Masters for the Nats. But I don't
think you are truly participating in the F3A event if you never fly F.
Again, just my opinion.

As a CD I don't like the idea of the contestant picking what they're
going to fly the day of the contest. I think it should be decided,
advertised and that is what's done. Not voted on at the field. Now, if
a contestant wants to fly something different then everyone else, I
guess they have the option of doing whatever they want and taking the
zeros. I guess the judges in the chair at the time can mark down what
scores they think they flew, but if you didn't fly the correct
maneuvers it would be a zero for the round. This talk of trying to
come up with some changes to the K-factors or adjusting scores by some
percentage make my head spin. Again, I'll do it if that is what's
decided, but I wouldn't like it if I was still flying F3A.

As to what I am going to do for F3A at the Arvin contest, right now
it's TBD. I'm hoping some consensus can be reached on this issue soon.

Tony