[NSRCA-dist1] Masters sequence for 2018-2019

Sal Piu spiurc at comcast.net
Thu Oct 12 18:11:04 AKDT 2017

D1 folks,

      I usually don’t comment about Board of Director’s (BoD) meetings
as the official meeting notes are always published: I thought folks
should know what transpired to end up with the final Masters 2018-2019
sequence.As everyone knows, there was a very large contention with the
proposed Masters sequence earlier this year that essentially revolved
around some maneuvers being deemed excessively challenging by some
pilots, as well as the overall sequence not adhering to the sequence
committee guidelines established several years ago.The BoD made
recommendations to essentially get the proposed sequence back within
guidelines as well as address the difficulty aspect.The sequence
committee responded with a counter-proposal. The BoD meeting in October
2017 discussed the counter-proposal and made decisions based on
districts’ preferences and survey results.Two particular maneuvers were
contentious even among the BoD members during that meeting.The golf-ball
maneuver was decided by a margin of only 1 vote in favor of keeping it
simple with half rolls (the knife-edge ¾ loop is reduced to a simple
wings-level loop).The second contentious maneuver was the loop with the
top 180 half containing either an integrated roll or a 4-point roll.The
Board originally recommended to change this maneuver to include a
4-point roll because, in theory, that should be easier to do than an
integrated roll across the same area. Several folks stated at the board
meeting that they tried flying both versions of this maneuver multiple
times: all-that-did discovered the version with the 4-point roll was
actually more difficult to fly than the integrated roll. Hence, the
board voted to go with the simpler integrated roll version.I believe the
final, BoD-endorsed Masters sequence complies with existing sequence
committee guidelines in generating new sequences.

Sal