[NSRCA-discussion] Arming Device for electric airplanes

Peter Vogel vogel.peter at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 12:18:20 AKDT 2018

Glow model at full throttle -- sure, can happen, has happened -- but when
you are starting a glow motor:
1.  You have someone holding the plane (usually)
2.  YOU are, or whoever is running the starter is, in FRONT of the plane,
natural self-preservation kicks in and causes all kinds of double + triple
checking to avoid self-injury.

With electric, it is *rarely* the pilot who is at risk or harmed if an
armed airplane pops to full throttle. Hence the "risk" of a glow issue is
significantly reduced.  You can also tell when a glow motor is "armed"
because it's idling.  None of that exists with electric.

I totally agree that rules, systems like arming plugs, etc. don't prevent
every accident.  But, every gun has a safety switch for a reason, and the
supervisors at a firing range have a sharp eye out for people not flipping
the safety switch when they step back -- shouldn't the same be true for our
aircraft?

Peter+

--
Director, Fixed Wing Flight Training
Associate Vice President, Academy of Model Aeronautics District X