[NSRCA-discussion] Rules Proposal Cycle?

John Gayer west.engineering at comcast.net
Sat Jan 28 09:55:44 AKST 2017

Well thought out discussion. Thanks Larry.

As has already been pointed out, the FAI 5kg rules defines how our
pattern models are designed. If we change the AMA rules to go along with
common practice at local and regional contest, it will have zero impact
on the pattern models commonly available to us. On the other hand, if
the FAI changes/eliminates the 5Kg rule and we don't follow, very soon
we will have no legal pattern models available. Not likely to happen.
I'm just pointing out who is in charge here.

It's been fairly well established that there is no advantage in flying a
heavy model so what does an AMA weight rule accomplish? Locally
absolutely nothing since no one has ever checked weights at a local
contest with the intent of disqualifying overweight models. At the Nats,
who knows. Most of the overweight models never showed up. I have checked
model weights at a local contest. As I recall, about half were over 5Kg.
All were recognized pattern models.

There is also a whole class of sport scale models in the 75-78 inch span
area costing about $350 into which you can put a DLE 30cc for about $300
and operate much cheaper than four stroke or battery. Many of these can
be set up for less than it cost to put an Osiris in the air and can be
made to fly very well. Unlikely that you will stay under 5Kg, however.
Part of what we should be looking for is a way to improve participation
and lower costs. Including this class of models as legal might help.

There are two types of participants. One shows up at a contest to win
and the other shows up to participate. Of course there is some overlap
there. :-) The contestant looking to win shows up with a current design
and it will weigh less than 5Kg regardless of weight rules. The second
might be interested in reducing participation costs and doesn't care
about the weight rule either as long as his model is acceptable to the CD.

Other countries recognize the distinction between the FAI requirements
of 5Kg and the weight limits for their national classes. The French have
a limit of 5.5Kg + 1% which I believe is only checked at their Nats. Why
shouldn't we do something about the weight rule for AMA classes? I don't
see the French designing planes around 5.5Kg.

I firmly believe we could abolish or diminish the impact of the AMA
weight rule without any negative impact on model design and it might do
some good in legalizing some hand me down models and increase the
variety of legal models .

John Gayer