[NSRCA-discussion] NATS Participation

John Gayer jgghome at comcast.net
Sun Nov 6 10:53:51 AKST 2016

Sometimes it is the other way around at local contests.
The smaller size of contests often means there is no time to kick back
and talk to people. With 20 contestants and two flight lines, you are
either  getting ready to fly, flying, calling, judging, judging some
more, helping fix a plane or helping out in some way with the contest.
By the end of the day, I am flat worn out.

The problem is the two flight lines being run so six competition flights
can be done for all. If you go back to one line then the flights must
move faster. We could:

 1. eliminate takeoffs and landings from being scored.
 2. get the next contestant in the air before last contestant lands.
 3. Try and come up with a couple of qualified judges that are not competing

Many contests fall into a range of 15 to 25 contestants that would be a
lot more fun with such an arrangement. It would be interesting to get
some numbers on the mah consumed per minute in loitering at low power.
Also, having only five flights or flying later on Sunday would help too.
Hmm, might even save a few midairs!

On the subject of judging at the Nats and not feeling qualified, if you
are comfortable judging a class at home, you will be fine at the Nats.
For example, if you are flying Masters and have never judged an FAI
finals sequence or unknown but are assigned the FAI semis, I would
expect you to express your reservations to the chief judge and get your
judging assignment changed. That should not be a problem.  The top level
of flying in each class is no better than some of the local contests. It
is true that the depth of talent will probably increase.
Biggest judging problem I see is Sportsman and beginning Intermediates
judging top level Advanced pilots at local contests. They do not yet
have the eye to distinguish all the errors and are often not familiar
with the sequence. leads to massive score compression. Two flight lines
exacerbates the problem as Masters and FAI are usually on the same line
and judge only for each other.

John