[NSRCA-discussion] Airplane rack

John Pavlick jpavlick at idseng.com
Thu Jun 30 07:40:47 AKDT 2016

Jason,
1" PVC is perfect (and very inexpensive). At my local Home Depot it comes in
10' sections - which should fit in your minivan without cutting it as long
as you can have nothing on the floor between the front seats. I know my old
Caravan could handle this stuff. While you're getting the PVC get some foam
pipe insulation too - whatever size fits over the PVC pipe. Plumbing sizes
are all weird so just try the stuff out before you buy it.

I glued my airplane rack together at certain points (with PVC plumbing glue)
but I also drilled some holes and used some 1/4" removable pins and clips
(find these in the hardware section) to allow me to take everything apart
for storage yet still survive the trip to Muncie (or the local flying
field). Don't rely on the tightness of the push fit alone. It WILL work its
way loose when you're on the road. Make sure EVERY joint is either glued or
pinned.

I was able to get 3 2-meter planes into my '05 Dodge Caravan with lots of
room for my canopy tent, chairs, a cooler etc. I even had a special rack
that let me take 3 people AND 3 airplanes (one of them was just a Venus 2)
to a contest. It was a tight fit and everything had to be loaded in a
specific order but it worked. I wish I had some pictures - sorry. You'll
figure it out.

John Pavlick
Cell: 203-417-4971
Integrated Development Services