[NSRCA-discussion] Bowtie

Verne Koester verne at mi.rr.com
Fri Jul 1 09:37:43 AKDT 2016

I just read the Judges Chair in the latest K-Factor regarding the Bow Tie in
Masters. Their opinion is that the overall shape of the maneuver should form
a rectangle rather than a square. I can't see how that's geometrically
possible. The center portion of the maneuver has two opposing 45 degree
lines. Assuming we want the baseline and top line height the same and we
want the maneuver centered, the 45 degree lines mandate an overall square
shape. The only way to make a rectangle out of it is to either fly an angle
of less than 45 degrees through the center or add short straight lines
before and after the 45's going into the radiuses into the verticals. The
illustration in the K-Factor showing how the Bow Tie should be shaped
illustrates this because the center angle lines in their rectangle drawing
are clearly less than 45 degrees. The Masters aresti shows the correct
overall shape and it's square.

Verne Koester