[NSRCA-discussion] Attention Commercial Full Scale Pilots

Daniel Dupont dansy44 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 10:29:38 AKST 2015

I spend 37 years in the military as a Flight Engineer, flown in the worse cold place on earth (top of the world)…..and very nice hot places as well ;)

My comment are for Turbo Prop type airplanes / Helicopters with Electrical and Bleed air d-icing systems…I have flown on Helicopter (Chinook / Twin Huey / Bell 412) Fixed wing (P3 and CC130)

De-icing is to removed the ice and a thin layer will remain on the surface, during take-off most of it will be shed away….most de-icing system won’t work on the ground its just too hot/efficient (not build for that) and cause burn wire or burn surface……just too hot, they are made to work airborne.

The way they spray these day they could it inside an enclosed hangar if they wanted too….since they used pod with fully enclosed temperature control cab….on top of the boom….but most are outside on a designated area of the airport….to collect the de-icing fluid from going into the wasted management system of any town….I wouldn’t want to drink that nasty stuff.

Most de-icing in modern commercial Jet are from bleed air….electric element tend to eventually burn and fail, unless it’s deactivated by micro switches on the landing gear, this is totally dependant of the aircraft models and makers…..there’s so many way to rig thing’s, and from the same maker I have seen different way I guess it depend on the engineer when they design the systems.

Hope this help a little hard to answer without specific.

Daniel iMac