[NSRCA-discussion] Attention Commercial Full Scale Pilots

chuenkan at comcast.net chuenkan at comcast.net
Sat Dec 5 15:27:18 AKST 2015

Ron, My daughter works for American/US Airways (now "American" only) @ TYS (Knoxville, TN, used to work @ CLT (Charlotte, NC). She is providing the answers I'm typing in for you.

Her answers are in bold below...

Phil Spelt, KCRC Emeritus, Secretary
AMA 1294, Scientific Leader Member
SPA L-18, Board Member
(865) 435-1476v (865) 604-0541c

----- Original Message -----

I have a couple of questions regarding de-icing of full scale commercial jets. I’m trying to prep for being an expert witness on an environmental matter related to de-icing.

Is the purpose of the de-icing fluid just to knock off the ice prior to take off or is it also intended to remain on the plane during flight?

Yes, both; and Type I fluid is used to knock chunks of ice off @ high pressure, Type IV is used to inhibit ice accumulation during flight. (She may h ave the numbers reversed, but doesn't think so.)

Do commercial jets contain any other mechanism for preventing or stopping ice buildup during flight (e.g., heating elements)?

Yes, there are heating elements on the wing leading edge. (And possibly the tail.)

I always assumed that all de-icing activities occur out in the open. However, I’ve heard some airports now do this within enclosures. Are these enclosures two side (i.e., the plane pulls straight in one side of the enclosure and straight out the other side of the enclosure without raising and lowering doors on the entrance and exit?

Sharon has never seen them de-iced in an enclosure, only in the open over a drain-she does not know. The de-icing fluid is not toxic -- workers can inhale & taste it with impunity. They wear no protective (from the fluid) clothing or equipment.

Any other details you can provide me would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ron

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 12676 (20151205) __________

http://www.eset.com