[NSRCA-discussion] Attention Commercial Full Scale Pilots

Scott Smith vze23c3q at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 15:32:02 AKST 2015

A little late to the party but from my A&P days...

De-Icer - Removes accumulated ice (i.e. pneumatic boots on leading edges)
Anti-Ice - Prevents accumulation (i.e. bleed air or weeping alcohol)

De-Icing Fluid (as in on the tarmac) is heated fluid that will melt any
accumulation and slow any build-up before departure on the horizontal
surfaces.  Does nothing once the aircraft is airborne.

Electric boots on the props are referred to as de-ice but can also serve as
anti-ice.  Pneumatic de-icers are problematic because moisture can build up
in the lines then freeze (just when you needed them most!)  The boots are
held tight to the L/E by vacuum and any holes in the boot allow water to
enter when flying through precipitation.

On Sat, Dec 5, 2015 at 2:34 PM, Daniel Dupont via NSRCA-discussion <