[NSRCA-discussion] 2015 proposed Advanced maneuvers

James Hiller jnhiller at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 29 09:51:00 AKDT 2014

Right on!
Jim

From: NSRCA-discussion [mailto:nsrca-discussion-bounces at lists.nsrca.org] On
Behalf Of John Ford via NSRCA-discussion
Sent: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 4:47 AM
To: Chuck Hochhalter; General pattern discussion
Subject: Re: [NSRCA-discussion] 2015 proposed Advanced maneuvers

I would agree with Chuck, especially on the "know your plane" part.

So much of the coaching I've given to pattern fliers over the years involves
flying the plane intensely.which means over and over again.with the vast
majority of flights in a given month on the pattern plane. It really is a
discipline sport and not much of it can be "part-time".  Often, I will spend
whole weekends just flying past myself doing rolls, knife-edge, loops,
snaps, or verticals.just to remind myself how the plane handles.it's amazing
how we forget stuff or teach ourselves bad habits by flying only the
straight pattern at contests.

I know a few good pilots that bring four planes to the field and fly the
pattern plane only one flight at the end of the day when the wind dies, and
then say that they aren't attending the next pattern contest AT THEIR FIELD
because "patterns are way too difficult".

I know a gentleman who once showed up at the field only three years ago,
with a old beat-up wrinkled Focus running a brown-tarnished OS 2-stroke
under a cracked cowling. He paid only a few hundred for the package, but he
so much wanted to win a contest that he flew the heck outta that plane, and
flew nothing else. We coached him, helped him set up his plane, and guess
what.he placed and then won a contest. He wasn't ashamed of his plane, and
he relied on himself.not on the plane.to win.

I'm sorry, but yes, I've seen lots of people buy 70- or 110-sized pattern
planes "because they are cheaper", but I seldom remember seeing anyone who
showed up at a contest saying that their 70-sized plane is the ONLY plane
they own/fly, or the ONLY plane they can afford. If they did (and I remember
one such person), they usually had their thumbs wired to their hearts and
out-flew everyone else.
Usually, however, the "cheaper" 70-sized pattern plane sits next to the
110-inch Extra 300 gasser in the trailer or sits next to a dozen other sport
planes and three radios in the basement.

I hear the concerns, but I think choices can and need to be made. I
personally own only one plane, fly it 100% of the time, what little time I
have.and my worst fear is that the pattern never changes or gets easier.
That will be my cue to try scale or jets.

John

On Jul 29, 2014, at 5:58 AM, Chuck Hochhalter via NSRCA-discussion