[NSRCA-discussion] 2015 proposed sequences

Dana Beaton danamaenia at me.com
Mon Aug 18 23:12:14 AKDT 2014

"Both Masters and Advanced can, and probably will be, changed next year. Any substantial problems can be addressed then.”

Hi John, all, given the feedback I have read / heard from pilots outside of D1, and the feedback I have received from within our D1 membership, what should probably NOT change next year (or any year soon) are the standards for the AMA classes in the Sequence Development Guide 1.3 (NSRCA Procedures, Standards and Guidelines for AMA R/C Precision Aerobatic Sequence Development, printed October 1, 2012).

I believe we have heard that the difficulty levels for each class are appropriate as they now stand, otherwise we would not have been able to offer the 2015 proposals under discussion and about to be adopted for the next cycle.  I think the Sequence Committee needs to be completely transparent about any intent to increase the difficulty level via changes to the Guide (or otherwise) well in advance of that occurring, such that there is ample time for broad discussion, agreement, and buy-in (or not) from both our Membership, and the AMA pattern community at-large, which is a key constituency that we serve.  This goes beyond a single NSRCA survey.  I think it is easy to forget that the broader AMA pattern community looks to NSRCA for stewardship of R/C Precision Aerobatics, and that we and the BoD enjoy trust and have a duty: we should protect that.  While I don’t have numbers for you, there is most likely a much larger - albeit silent - majority outside these conversations that is OK with the status quo on sequence difficulty.  OTOH, I have NEVER heard a remark along the lines of "I’m leaving pattern because it is not challenge enough for me, so I am going to fly IMAC (jets, helis, sailplanes, or what have you) instead.”

The next AJ is not going to come from a far more complex/difficult set of schedules; the next AJ is going come along when somebody that talented puts in the time and effort to passionately realize perfection in their F3A performance on the world stage.   The rest of us will do the best we can to enjoy our hobby/sport with the reasonable level of challenge we now enjoy, given the little bit of talent that we have and can nurture in both ourselves and our local pattern communities.  The Nats are for the few; please we need to keep the many in mind, both within our local clubs and in-between.  We need to not lose sight of those folk who can and do enter our contests, and will stop coming if they don’t like the direction we are taking.  This I am already seeing in my local community of pattern pilots that I am vigorously trying to reactivate or motivate to stick with pattern.  Really, it is hard enough as it is!

Respectfully,
Dana Beaton