[NSRCA-discussion] flutter again

Ed White edvwhite at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 15 13:10:46 AKDT 2013

George,

Based on the size and the description foamy I've been thinking surface flex.  When you say stiffeners "longitudinally" what do you mean? Chordwise or spanwise?  Either may actually be of less help than you think.  It depends upon the mode shape of the mode that is getting excited in flutter.  It may be a question of torsional stiffness in which case chordwise or spanwise stiffeners may not help that much.  It depends upon how the stiffeners are tied to each other, if there is a closed torque box.  The ideal would be +/- 45 deg stiffening. Classical flutter occurs when two vibration modes of the structure couple together to extract energy from the airstream.  Usually the modes are associated plunge (flapping) of the wing and with pitch (torsion) of the wing or any kind of flexing of the control surface.  Control surface flutter may be due to a vibration mode that occurs because the control actuator is not stiff enough or because the control
 surface itself is not stiff enough. The vibration modes that couple may be complicated and not always the usual modes.  Also, the closer in frequency these modes are to begin with, the easier it is to get them to flutter.  You may have two wing modes, or a wing and aileron mode that are just close to each other and flutter easily.

It may not be an aileron stiffness issue at all, it may be a wing torsional stiffness issue.  The fact that you have aerodynamic counterbalances and you said you weighted them leads me to wonder if it is not a wing issue.  Perhaps some strategically placed +/- 45 reinforcing tape to stiffen wing in torsion?

Ed