[NSRCA-discussion] Kirk Wickerpassing we are deeply saddened

tocdon at netscape.net tocdon at netscape.net
Sat Jun 22 17:33:02 AKDT 2013

I'm not sure if I heard this correctly on a news report, and I wish it were not true, but if it is, we have lost one of the greatest.

Kirk used to fly pattern in the '70's and '80s. Then moved to full scale aerobatics and airshows flying everythig from Caps to Pitts, Stearmans and incredible Piper Cub routines.  I remember the day Joseph and I were practicing at the FARM and Kirk flew up in his Cub.  He sat at the picnic table and kicked his feet up.  It was late in the afternoon that day, just relaxed and he talked about the old pattern days- like the origin of the dual rate switch and expo when those were first introduced.   He would never hesitate to give you a ride and experience the thrill of flying.  We always enjoyed watching his aerobatics routines and I was always just amazed at the wing walking routine he did with his wife.

Joseph in particular is in shock because Kirk was one of the first to give Joseph a full scale airplane ride which he will remember for the rest of his life.

Back in the '90s Kirk always gave an aerobatic performance at our pattern contests with his CAP 21, which several pilots modeled their pattern plane paint schemes.

With sad regrets,
Don and Joe