[NSRCA-discussion] 140, 160, 170DZ muffler question

John Ferrell jferrell13 at triad.rr.com
Mon Mar 26 07:13:41 AKDT 2012

My experience has been mostly YS140FZ and YS120's.
None will get along with a soft mount and any kind of muffler.
The results with a hard mount are better but still a pain. Breaking the
muffler is not the worst part of it, you can lose it or worse yet
destroy the threads in the head. The short tube that came with the YS120
worked pretty well though.

Using a YS 4 stroke without some kind of locking nut on the prop is
unreliable and dangerous.
I am kind of relieved that no one was interested in my offer to sell my
YS140 FZ's. If the buyer has not had the benefit of pattern experience
he is unlikely to have the skills and motivation to deal with these
competition engines.
An engine mod to reduce vibration might be workable but I lack the
skills & ambition to pursue that. From discussions with the engine guys
involved in other engine competitions a solution will likely involve
crankshaft mods.

Perhaps someone has some suggestions to domesticate the YS before
retiring them to the Sport Fliers?

--
John Ferrell W8CCW
"During times of universal deceit,