[NSRCA-discussion] Rules change proposals

J N Hiller jnhiller at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 22 19:40:04 AKDT 2012

Thank You

-----Original Message-----
From: nsrca-discussion-bounces at lists.nsrca.org [mailto:nsrca-discussion-bounces at lists.nsrca.org]On Behalf Of Ed Alt
Sent: Sunday, April 22, 2012 8:26 PM
To: General pattern discussion
Subject: Re: [NSRCA-discussion] Rules change proposals

That last sentence about allowing CD discretion to determine if telemetry info constitutes an unfair advantage seems completely inappropriate.  How would that sound if it were instead referring only to  data logged in the model, i.e., not transmitted?  Or if it were referring to information learned post flight from the LiPo charger about how much battery capacity was used during the flight?  Why not give the CD the discretion to snoop around the pits after your flight while you look at that information from your Eagle Tree logger or your LiPo charger? Or how about policing Spektrum Data Monitor readings captured during the flight?  One might infer from the number of antenna fades if a particular flight was flown further out than other flights. Or how about if the CD is permitted to determine that you gained an unfair advantage because you got feedback from your caller about your flight?

The intent seems to be that telemetry can be permitted for monitoring safety functions.  If you define the safety functions as things that are required to safely control the model, such as adequate battery voltage, temperatures within safe bounds and so forth, then an in-flight alarm is the one and only mechanism that you can legitimately use.  Or is it?  Would it not be useful to see if you had creeped right up to, but not crossed over to a dangerous temperature when pushing hard to fly a large sequence on a hot windy day? You would need to look at logged telemetry data in that case. Or would it be better to allow to CD to arbitrarily ban that pilot from learning that he would be better off being a little more conservative on the next flight to avoid hitting that dangerous condition?

This is being made much more complicated than it needs to be!

Ed