[NSRCA-discussion] Quick question re: cellular data service at the fields where you compete

Gordon Anderson gaa at owt.com
Thu Dec 8 18:46:36 AKST 2011

Hi All,

I am the guy in D8 that wrote the excel based scoring program. I am pretty active in D8 and have been for the last 11 years. I was the D8 VP for 4 years and have CDed a number of contests. As a result I have a pretty good idea how events are run in D8 and I developed the program to fit our needs. My wife and I run the scoring in a lot of our contests so we really know what helps reduce the work load of running a contest. I wrote this for fun because I felt a lot of what was needed already existed in excel and I thought it would be fun to write a scoring program that used excel spreadsheet functions and VBA. We have been using it for several years and I think its worked pretty well.
My advice would be to try new ideas, if you are an active pattern flier and have a good idea then build it and give it a go. This is the fun part of pattern for me, you can try things out and see what works. Its real hard to get group consenses on just about anything. I bet if I would have said a few years a go that we should build a scoring program using excel, people would have all kinds of reasons why it would never work.

--Gordon