[NSRCA-discussion] Att: Tom Simes

Tom Simes simestd at netexpress.com
Sat Dec 3 15:19:02 AKST 2011

On 12/2/11 9:52 PM, Nat Penton wrote:
> Tom what is this about   ???
>

> Your message to NSRCA-discussion awaits moderator approval.eml
>
> Subject:
> Your message to NSRCA-discussion awaits moderator approval
> From:
> nsrca-discussion-bounces at lists.nsrca.org
> Date:
> 12/2/11 6:39 PM
>
> To:
> natpenton at centurytel.net
>

> Your mail to 'NSRCA-discussion' with the subject
>
>      Info

> The reason it is being held:
>
>      Message may contain administrivia

Nat, I'm sorry you're running into all these little corner cases but it
gives me an opportunity to explain things for others.

In this particular case, the mailing list server takes a quick look at
each post to the list and tries to catch those which contain certain key
words indicating that someone may be asking for administrative help with
the mailing list (AKA administrative trivia or administrivia in geek
parlance).

If the post is deemed likely to contain administrivia, then it gets
deferred from posting to the list and both the list administrator (me in
this case) and the sender get the message you quoted above.  The
mechanism is an attempt to make sure list administrators see messages
that require their attention so they can help in a timely manner.x

Looking at your post that triggered it, having the sole word "info" as
the subject on your NE Aero Aquila post made it look like administrivia.
  Had the subject been something like "Aquila info" the post would
likely have flown right through.

Again, my apologies for the frustration - the mechanism is intended to
help rather than censor or delay postings.

--
Tom

    "Z80 system stack overflow.  Shut 'er down Scotty, she's
          sucking mud again!" - Error message on XENIX v3.0

Tom Simes                                       simestd at netexpress.com