[NSRCA-discussion] Att: Tom Simes

Tom Simes simestd at netexpress.com
Sat Dec 3 10:32:06 AKST 2011

I'm @ one of my kids swim meets. Will take a look / explain when I get to something with a keyboard.
--

"Martin X. Moleski, SJ" <moleski at canisius.edu> wrote:

On 12/3/2011 1:52 AM, Nat Penton wrote:

> Tom what is this about ???

It sounds to me as though Tom may have filters on the system
that alert him when his name is used in a post.

I know other mail administrators who do that. Because of the
nature of their jobs, they may have to look at hundreds, if not
thousands, of pieces of e-mail every day. By flagging those
that contain certain terms, they can pre-sort their mail and
pay more attention to items that need their attention
sooner than if they read the mail in the order in which
it was delivered.

"Message may contain administrivia" is compact, but not
unintelligible, for those who have eyes to see. "Administrivia"
means "trivial material related to the administration of
the list that is, by definition, not on-topic for the list."

So, for example, the topic of this mailing list is precision
radio-controlled aerobatics as conducted under the auspices
of the National Society of Radio-Controlled Aerobatics.
It is not a mailing list about how mailing lists are
administered. If a message is sent to the list, for example,
that requests that the sender be removed from the mailing list,
that would be an example of "administrivia" that does not
belong on the mailing list itself.

Tom donates the mail server and his services as administrator
of ALL of our NSRCA mailing lists to the NSRCA, free of charge.
>From time to time, it would be good for us to thank Tom for
so generously sharing his server and superb administrative
skills with us.

				Marty