[NSRCA-discussion] FW: Proposed NSRCA sequences for2011 andbeyond

John Gayer jgghome at comcast.net
Fri Sep 24 16:01:00 AKDT 2010

  Dave,

  With regard to the Aussie system, it is completely possible to remain
in a lower class forever. If you are not improving but only maintaining
a current skill level due to lack of time or other reasons, you will
probably stagnate in a class.
When I was there, expert and masters both flew the current F3A pattern.
I gather that has changed somewhat now but 20 years ago it was true. I
was in the expert class and due to work pressures, etc I did not have
the time(and perhaps the ability) to gain promotional points to
Masters(F3A), even with coaching from Peter Goldsmith(I still have a
Lotus in my workshop).
I believe that most of that expert group has since made it to
Masters(F3A). Gavin Dark and Brian McFarlane come to mind but at that
time we were definitely mired in Expert without any promotion points in
sight. Would it be possible to game the system to stay in a class? Yes,
I suppose it would be but all I saw was a lot of eagerness to reach the
next level.

I have no problem with Masters being a destination class. As I have
stated a number of times, I consider it improper for Masters to be the
_only_ class that is not required to advance to the next level. I've
tried to make the point that while I have flown in higher
classes(usually not well) I am very happy and competitive in Advanced,
at least for the time being.
There are two ways to fix the advancement issue:

   1. Require Masters to advance to the F3A pattern
   2. Offer all the other classes the opportunity to self-regulate their
      advancement as well. I've already suggested one method of doing
      this in an earlier post.

Every argument I've heard for not requiring Masters to advance makes
sense. What doesn't make sense is why the Masters pilots think these
arguments apply only to them.
Seems to me that the Masters pilots should get on board the second
solution....

John