[NSRCA-discussion] curious

Phil Spelt chuenkan at comcast.net
Tue Mar 23 08:27:16 AKDT 2010

Why would it not work to put 4 aileron servos in one group, and 2
spoileron servos in another group?  I can't imagine that a very
slight delay between ailerons and "flaps" would matter...

At 11:38 AM 3/23/2010, you wrote:
>So going back to my first sentence/example with 6 aileron servos, I
>would want three each in one of the three groups of four--in this
>case--2-4 and 5-7.  Any potential latency 'lag' would have to be
>compensated with servo speed, end point and sub-trim?  But probably
>in reality, not really noticeable.  In my mind, I am/was confusing
>'grouping' and 'mixing' on how grouping works in the radio. Thanks
>for the clarification.
>
>Richard
>

>----------
>Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 08:03:32 -0700
>From: wemodels at cox.net
>To: nsrca-discussion at lists.nsrca.org
>Subject: Re: [NSRCA-discussion] curious
>
>Honestly, you've lost me. On the PPM/PCM 14MZ if you plugged 6
>servos in and they were all assigned to aileron the servos plugged
>into channels 1, 2, 3 would act together, and the servos plugged
>into channels 4,5,6 would act together. Acting together here means
>with little or not noticeable latency.
>
>The pre 2.4 14MZ grouped channels into 4 groups of three channels.
>The 2.4 14MZ makes three groups of 4 channels. It is built into the
>radio. Plugging a servo into channel one and telling the radio that
>is aileron and then plugging another servo in to channel 12 and
>telling the radio that this is also aileron will result in a
>potential lag for the last servo compared to the first servo. The
>radio is not going to set up some sort of Master-slave servo/channel mix.
>
>Again, channels 1,2,3,4 are in one group.
>Channels 5,6,7,8 are in a second group
>Channels 9,10,11,12 are in a third group.
>
>The signal will get to the servos within each of those three groups
>at essentially the same time. WHat is plugged into those channels
>and what function you have assigned those channels is irrelevant
>from the standpoint of the radio.
>
>So say you had 4 aileron servos, 2 per wing. You plug the left wing
>servo into channels 1 and 9. You plug the right wing's servos into
>channel 2 and 10. The two servos on either aileron will not be in
>synch as far as time that they receive a signal so there may be a
>potential latency issue. In other words, the servos may "fight" each other.
>
>Channel one is not going to "say" to channel 9 "hey I am in charge
>and take your lead from me" as far as the timing of the receipt of
>the signal to move. They will act together in the sense that they
>will move in response to the aileron command and in the same direction.
>

>Richard Strickland wrote:
>So if I plug say 6 ailerons in to channels 1-6 like the original
>Futaba MZ web main page shows, we would have to compensate somehow
>with End Point Adjustment and Servo Speed on two? That doesn't seem
>right.  It would seem more logical that in a non-grouped
>setting--but effectively grouped--like ailerons, twin elevator
>halves, or flaps, you would want them in the 1-4, 5-8, etc.
>groups--but if you are specifically 'telling' those servos "Pal, you
> [...]

-->There are only two types of aircraft -- fighters and targets.

Phil Spelt, Past President, Knox County Radio Control Society, Inc.