[NSRCA-discussion] Perry VP30 Question

Richard Lewis humptybump at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 16 05:00:58 AKST 2010

The small vent hole is the atmoshpheric pressure reference that balances the regulator in the pump.  The Perry pump is primarily marketed for surface use and the instructions are written with that in mind.  If the vent faces down in a surface application it is less likely to fill with dirt and cause the regualator in the pump to malfunction.  In an aircraft application, you still want the vent to remian free of obstruction at all times, but it is unlikely to stop up with dirt, so orientation is not as important.

IMO - Distance from the engine is not critical in a pumped setup.  In a regulator arrangement like Kline, it is critical since the carb draws fuel from the regulator, but not in the pumped setup.  That being said, mine have generally been placed close to the engine.  I did have one setup with the pump behind the firewall.  It had 6 inches or so of fuel line between the pump and carb and operated just like any other setup I used.  Some people use/experiment with a bypass arrangement wihich allows the excess pumped fuel to return the tank and the bypass tee for this needs to be very close to the carb.  We never had much luck with this setup though.  It worked, but was a hassle and did not seem to offer any advantage over the straight pumped arrangement.

Richard