[NSRCA-discussion] Unknowns (now about judging)

Derek Koopowitz derekkoopowitz at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 18:11:54 AKDT 2009

I really don't see what purpose this thread is going to serve. we (us - this
list) cannot control what the quality of the judges are going to be at any
world championship.  We (the NSRCA and the AMA) can only control which US
judge is presented to the CIAM - we should also not influence how other
countries select their judges either.  That is their right and they control
that process.

Making statements that the WC's are somehow using judges that don't judge by
the rules isn't fair to those judges that judged at the WC's at all.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but let's at least give them (judges)
the benefit of the doubt in that they judged the flights according to the
way they saw it.  Please remember that there are 20 judges there and I
seriously doubt that the majority of them were in collusion and were
determined to pick "their" guy as the champion.  Also please remember that
in the finals, 5 judges were only judging the left turnaround maneuvers
only, 5 different judges were judging the right turnaround maneuvers only,
and 10 different judges were judging the center maneuvers only.  No one is
perfect if they missed seeing a line off by 5/10/15 degrees, or an
over/under rotation on a roll (snap) by 5/10 degrees.

I'll leave you with a quote - "Try as hard as we may for perfection, the net
result of our labors is an amazing variety of imperfectness.  We are
surprised at our own versatility in being able to fail in so many different
ways.".