[NSRCA-discussion] ENJOY PATTERN. IT WAS "Rules proposal 11-6 question"

GEORGE KENNIE geobet4 at verizon.net
Sun Oct 25 19:01:00 AKDT 2009

Matthew,

I've stayed out of this discussion because of quite a few years of experience being subjected to the whims of the powers that be.
As you state, well intentioned, but misguided none-the-less.

I agree with your logic, but it's success is unattainable. I gave up some time ago trying to keep up with the rules change proposals
submitted and railroaded through by well meaning, but deluded analysts bent on improving execution problems that were inappropriately
interpreted.

Twelve years ago we had a fantastic rulebook that if correctly interpreted answered all of the associated questions currently being
wrestled with and at that time I had a good understanding on it's proposed methodology and idiosyncracies.

With the passage of time, people come into the program, and when they first arrive they are just happy to be participants, but with
the passage of time they win their first contest and all of a sudden they become serious. With their new serious attitude they begin
to feel that they have a responsibility to better understand the rules process and so they, for the first time, immerse themselves in
a scrutiny of the book. The unfortunate thing about all of this is that many seem to misconstrue the true meaning of the maneuver
descriptions or decide that what they're reading departs from the way they have been doing it right along and in their zeal to correct
what they perceive as a problem they develop a strong sense of responsibility to the group and in an effort to fulfill this responsibility
they realize that they will have to work themselves into positions of leadership. This is usually not too difficult to achieve as leadership
positions are pretty readily available as nobody from the membership at large wants to do a heck of a lot. Once firmly ensconced,
their lobbying power with the contest board becomes magnified and more effective. Next thing you know, you discover that there
has been a stupid change to a long established rule that you had been performing according to the book for years without any problems
along with everybody else, but because one of these now influential forward thinkers has proposed it the masses are soon caught up
in the current.

So, you see, this is a self perpetuating dilemma that will never go away. Come back to this forum in another 12 years and the snap/spin
controversy will be the topic of the day and the rule book will be 300 pages.

Maybe the best you can do is go with the flow, but I won't expect you to like it.

G.