[NSRCA-discussion] Off the wall....

Bob Richards bob at toprudder.com
Fri Oct 23 11:21:44 AKDT 2009

A few years back (maybe 10?), a guy showed up at the field with a recent low-cost heli that was .40 powered, but fixed pitch. The local heli jocks would not touch it, but one of them remembered that I had flown such a beast way back in the 70s. I helped the guy out and got him flying. It was much easier than I remembered, but it DID have a gyro. :-)

One thing I did to tame down the tail rotor on the old non-gyro fixed pitch helis was to glue a large cardboard disk on the end of a wooden dowel, and tape that to the tail boom with the disk sticking out past the tail rotor. Did not stop the tail from swinging, but damped the motion significantly. In a slight headwind it would weathervane to the point that not much tail rotor control was needed.

I also switched to a single-stick transmitter (Proline). Tells you how long ago THAT was. :-)  Made the tail rotor input easier, IMHO.

Bob R.