[NSRCA-discussion] Topic migrating ; ) > Re: Rules proposal 11-6 question

Phil Spelt chuenkan at comcast.net
Wed Oct 21 06:57:04 AKDT 2009

Brian,

You are correct -- our planes are not all that noisy in SPA -- with a
few 2-cycle ones with poor factory "mufflers".  Knox County R/C
Society, in Knoxberg, TN, put in a noise restriction in about 1990,
which caused us in SPA to allow 4-cy engines.  The OS 91 FS is now
the most-frequently used engine in SPA.  With airframes at about
7-7.5 lbs ready for fuel, we have all the vertical we need to do our
tall maneuvers, such as the Top Hat and Figure M with 1/2
rolls.  Some of our SPA pilots have flown their SPA planes in BPA
events, and they are as fast as the BPAers, with gear down and no
pipes.  However, speed is not needed for vertical, because we are
running lower rpms even with the 2-strokers.

On another note, in our Sportsman (AMA's Intermediate), we have a
Slow Roll, 3 Horizontal Rolls, and a 4-Point Roll.  They do cause
some increase in Pucker Factor among Novices looking to move up, but
the move is possible, even for someone like me who never flew pattern
until I was in my late 50s.  No "Diaper Dandy" pattern jock here... :-D

BTW, if you haven't seen it, you should look up J Shu's thread on his
first SPA experience in SPA @ RCU.

At 08:43 AM 10/21/2009, you wrote:
>So how is senior pattern dealing with this? I have seen a few guys
>around do SPA and those planes are not  noisy, reasonably quiet
>even. They are running 4c and 2c engines and hard mounted but no
>pipes. So the performance of the engines has changed a great deal I
>assume and don't need the speed as much to go vertical.

-->There are only two types of aircraft -- fighters and targets.

Phil Spelt, Webmaster & Past President, Knox County Radio Control Society, Inc.