[NSRCA-discussion] T-Canalizer

Lance Van Nostrand patterndude at tx.rr.com
Sat Oct 17 06:55:26 AKDT 2009

Vince,
I took this myth to town last year and built an adjustable incidence canalizer, then took notes on the effects at various incidences and when placed in different locations (overthe CG, back of the wing).  Effects range from nothing to dramatic. Short version of the results: I left mine at 4.5 degrees neg and placed midway between the CG and the TE. It completely changed my wing incidence and CG, but in the end it helped it lock on horizontal lines and reduced pitch mix with this setup.  Other placements/incidences had other effects. There is no one answer and each plane has different "weaknesses" to be addressed.  It's a valuable tool, but one that is somewhat speed dependent and the worst thing about it is the down side effect when flying in a quartering wind.  I think of it as the immaculate band-aid and use it as a diagnostic tool in my airframe designing.

--Lance