[NSRCA-discussion] USA CIAM Representative?

Tony tony at radiosouthrc.com
Tue Mar 31 06:02:38 AKDT 2009

As the AMA District V Vice-President, I can shed light on this subject.

Due to the lack of participation in F3A at any level, I questioned why Chris
Lakin was the USA representative to the CIAM.

One of the main reasons that Chris took the position years ago was due to
the fact that Ron Chidgey, long time CIAM chairman, was retiring from active
participation in F3A and the CIAM.  Chris pushed to get someone on the CIAM
that was active, and was able to convince AMA President Dave Brown to
appoint him.  This position is filled by appointment from the AMA President.

Chris has not been active for many years now, and I have always felt that we
should keep active people in this position.  The result is that the NSRCA
has not been kept up to date with F3A happenings, nor have they had a
representative voice on the CIAM.  For those reasons, I questioned Dave
Mathewson about this position.  Dave agreed and the NSRCA was asked for a
recommendation.

Derek responded to Dave Mathewson with a couple of letters.  One said that
the NSRCA Board was looking at candidates and would make a final vote and
recommendation to AMA.

The result of the vote was that Derek was elected and his name was submitted
to Dave Mathewson for appointment to USA CIAM representative for F3A.  Dave
agreed and appointed Derek.  I don't know all the details of the NSRCA Board
work to get to this point.

AMA feels strongly that the SIG's should have a strong voice in who
represents them, and I agree with that.  Who better to speak on behalf of
pattern than someone that is recommended by the Pattern SIG?  I think Derek
is a GREAT choice and he has already shown he can do the job by winning the
USA bid for the F3A World Champs!

I have been involved with WC before, and I know the amount of work involved.
Derek is up to the task, and I believe that we have a great group of people
in NSRCA that are more than willing to step up and not only make it happen,
but do it with class and style so that the world will see why the USA is a
haven for aerobatics!

Anyway, I hope this helps everyone to understand.  At least in the case of
Dave Mathewson, choices that are made for these positions are done with the
recommendation of the concerned SIG taken into consideration.

Tony Stillman, President
Radio South, Inc.
139 Altama Connector, Box 322
Brunswick, GA  31525