[NSRCA-discussion] Iota 55 amp fuse replacement & surge protector

Bob Richards bob at toprudder.com
Mon Jun 1 16:31:21 AKDT 2009

I don't have an Iota supply, so I can't comment on those. However, the typical breakers in a house should not trip from the inrush current. They are thermal breakers, and would have to be overcurrent for some period of time (several cycles minimum) before they trip from overcurrent - even if it is a short circuit. Heat is what makes them trip.  (Some industrial breakers will have a thermal as well as magnetic trip, but I don't think you will find those in residential applications).  However, there is a possibility that a ground fault circuit breaker may be tripping from what is senses as a ground fault. The typical garage circuits are required to be ground fault now. Just out of curiosity, are the circuits that are tripping actually ground fault protected?

Bob R.