[NSRCA-discussion] AMA in Muncie; Relocation; Advanced/Intermediate Finals; Etc.....

Jerry Combs jcombs1947 at att.net
Fri Jul 31 17:01:10 AKDT 2009

Tony,

I can remember a time when you had to have at least placed in a local contest before you could enter the NATS.  It was this way in 1955 when I began competing in 1/2A free flight.  Of course that was back when one joined AMA in order to compete.

Jerry

That was one of the ideas that was brought to the table.  The NATS is an open event, anyone can participate.  It is time to think outside the box a little.  What if ALL events were changed so that only Nationals Qualifiers are allowed to compete at the NATS?  Then you would limit the participants and would really get the best of the best competing for a National Championship.  I would argue that the term "National Champion" would take on new meaning!

The problem is that the event is run by volunteers and that number would virtually disappear should this happen.  Everyone attending would be working full time to win.  This will create a whole new set of problems.

Tony Stillman, President

Radio South, Inc.

139 Altama Connector, Box 322

Brunswick, GA  31525