[NSRCA-discussion] BOLLY out of business

Jon Lowe jonlowe at aol.com
Fri Jan 16 10:06:17 AKST 2009

I've used both straight and swept gear and not had problems with
either.  I think a straight gear is more universal.  I think the ES
gear had it about right, but I'd would have liked them to have a gear
length in between their normal pattern gear, and their electric gear.
Their gears were tough, light, and fairly universal.  Many composite
gears I've seen delaminate at the fuselage side bend.  Theirs had the
fillet at the critical area to help prevent that.
Since we are talking about one company deciding whether or not to make
a gear, they need to look at the most universally used style of gear
and the one most likely to sell, and able to be made at an affordable
price.  My guess is a straight gear is the lowest ommon denominator
that we can all live with.

BTW, I have a left half of a Bolly F3A swept gear looking for a mate.
Anyone got a right half?!!

Jon Lowe