[NSRCA-discussion] Happy New Year

billglaze billglaze at bellsouth.net
Thu Jan 8 06:25:27 AKST 2009

The brake we used, very successfully, was a wire attached to the control
horn that joined the two elevator halves.  It was invented by Howard Bonner,
as I recall.  Full up elevator would project the wire into the rubber of the
tailwheel, stopping it from turning, and the resultant drag would, with
proper low speed on the engine, stop the airplane.  Simple, and very
effective.  It was necessary on the paved runways we used on the West Coast
to stop the craft.  Since I've moved East, I've seldom flown off anything
but grass; no problem stopping on grass runways.
Bill