[NSRCA-discussion] Happy New Year

Jon Lowe jonlowe at aol.com
Thu Jan 8 06:15:01 AKST 2009

Unfortunately, I'm old enough to remember the "brake of the week" to
successfully complete the taxi back to hanger maneuver.  There were
actually drum brakes with phenolic brake shoes available that worked
about as well as you'd expect on a nose wheel soaked by oil from fuel.
Later came partially self actuating springs wrapped around a drum
turned by the nose wheel, pulled on by a piece of monofilament fishing
line actuated by the elevator servo on down elevator.  By the time I
first flew pattern, that "maneuver" was thankfully gone.

Speaking of old manuevers, at one time a power dive was in the pattern
sequence.  Yep, a straight down dive under full power, sort of the
opposite of the vertical line on center in the current sportsman
routine.  More than a few airplanes met their maker with elevator
flutter ripping off the tail.

Now remember, I was born very young, so all of this happened when I was
about -10 years old, and Ron was already about 50!

Jon Lowe