[NSRCA-discussion] Power batteries

Verne Koester verne at twmi.rr.com
Tue Feb 10 11:57:56 AKST 2009

FlightPower has a new series of packs they're calling "Eon" and claim greatly enhanced cycle life. I'm not aware of anybody who's used them yet or if they're even available (the announcement came out a couple months ago). I flew FlightPower Evo's last year with good results. When new, they made too much power and I actually dual-rated them down to a more manageable level. After about 50 cycles, they seemed to settle in to a more manageable level and stayed constant for the rest of the season. I plan to buy a couple of pairs of FlightPower Eons this spring to try out and also have available if the Evo's start losing power. My limited experience (3 seasons) in electric is that most packs will run strong the first year and then drop to unacceptable levels the second, at least, that was the case with the batteries I flew my first two years. In fairness, and I won't mention the manufacturer, I didn't store them properly out of ignorance, so that might be a reason, or the reason the power dropped off the second year.

Verne Koester