[NSRCA-discussion] Power batteries

Chad Northeast chadnortheast at shaw.ca
Tue Feb 10 09:54:15 AKST 2009

"I never really got serious about TP as at one time they had--as far as I was concerned--too many cells in their packs--but perhaps it's time to re-visit."

Ironically it was the 4P packs that even today claim by far and wide the best cycle life, of pretty much any other packs used in pattern.

Its my opinion (I am sure many will disagree and thats ok!) that 1P packs will have a much harder time getting as high a cycle life as an equal quality +2p pack will.  There is no additional cell to share the load, so when you get a weak cell in a 1p pack its pretty much at the end of its life, where in a multi P pack the other cells in parallel can eat the additional load for a period of time.  If you break apart an old TP 5300 4P pack I have seen that one cell in the parallel bank is usually weaker than the rest, yet under load that entire bank still performs quite well.

The new Prolite V2's go back to the same manufacturer as the original Prolites, so I would expect the life of them to be very good.  I flew them since July and they are great performers, far outperforming the Extreme's and the original Prolites, I only put 50 flights on them so I cannot tell how they will last, but my voltage under load has only dropped a few tenths from when they were new so I expect lots of life yet.

There will be a 5000 1p variety, or a 5300 2p variety available in the lineup.

Chad