[NSRCA-discussion] Digital Pug-In module

Phil Spelt chuenkan at comcast.net
Tue Aug 25 14:16:49 AKDT 2009

Bill,

The encoder circuitry (the part of the Tx that creates the pulse
train and adjusts the pulse width according to stick/switch movement)
is electronically independent of the of the rf circuitry that puts
the pulse train onto the radio-frequency signal for transmission to
the Rx.  There is, I think, no more problem with a 2.4 gig
module/antenna than with a 72 MHz or 6-meter module.  The SS module
has all the circuitry to use the 2.4-2.48GHz spectrum, including the
antenna, which is "tuned" to the portion of the spectrum used.  As I
understand it, there are some features of the Spektrum/JR SS-designed
systems that do not translate to the module.  One of these is the
changing of the pulse train so that in flaperon mode the flap pulse
is not moved to be adjacent to the aileron pulse in the train.  If
anyone can actually FEEL this difference, they are almost super-human
on the Tx.  There are a couple of other features not present in the
module that are in the full SS system, but I think they are minor.

Hope this is helpful...

At 10:31 AM 8/25/2009, you wrote:
>All:
>I bought from a pattern fllyer, a JR 9393 Transmitter and receiver
>on 72 megs, with a frequency synthesizer,  While I do prefer to fly
>on 6 meters, I thought I might use this transmitter with a 6 meter synthesizer.
>However, a good friend of mine suggested getting a conversion unit
>and go directly to 2.4 Gig.  I know that it's  definitely the coming
>thing, even though I've been satisfied with the older system.
>However, (and this is where my doubt comes in) I was told by a hobby
>shop owner, that he "doesn't trust the 2.4 module, because, it's a
>basically a converter, and because the entire system wasn't designed
>to be used at 2.4 Gig to begin with, he doubts the plug-in module's
>reliability or safety of flight."
>Any advice will be appreciated.
>
>Bill Glaze

-->There are only two types of aircraft -- fighters and targets.

Phil Spelt, Webmaster & Past President, Knox County Radio Control Society, Inc.